Ask the Building Maintenance Experts
Solutions for Your Toughest Problems

ICAN  Q & A  Home

Sunday, October 04, 2015


I am interested in providing a residential community with a superintendent/janitor for a property. I'm looking for information on insurance and license requirements.


Your question submission sheet says that you are a contractor and it reads as if you want to supply someone to a community to provide certain maintenance services. What is unclear is whether you will continue as this person's employer or if you are acting as a labor broker to find the community an employee.
Either way, the basic NYS employment elements of Worker's Comp, disability coverage, and unemployment insurance will be needed. It is just a question of which employer pays, you or them.
The NYS Labor Dept. probably has a local office that can answer further questions on the insurances.
That for which you are seeking a license remains unknown. As a contractor, you should already know if you are required to have a business license where you live. What will this person be doing that requires a license?

Lynn E. Krafft, ICAN/ATEX Editor